Friday, December 23, 2022

Al compas del mundo – programa #58 - Blues and bluesy jazz

 Al compas del mundo – programa #58, 12-22-22

Blues and bluesy jazz - USA



01 Sonny Stitt - Blues Ahead

02 Lowell Fulson - Trouble, Trouble

03 Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis - Untitled Blues

04 Jimmy Rogers - Goin' Away Baby

05 Eddie 'Cleanhead' Vinson - When My Baby Left Me

06 Mercy Dee - Red Light

07 Charlie Ventura - O.H. Blues

08 Buddy Guy - Money (That’s What I Want)

09 Jaki Byard - Shine on Me

10 James Cotton - Somethin' You Got

11 Clark Terry - Swahili

12 Arthur Gunter – Don’t Leave Me Now

13 Dave Bailey Quintet - Comin' Home Baby

14 Magic Sam - All Night Long

15 John Handy - Blues in The Vernacular



Just sitting here rockin’, with a heatpad over the lumbar region. Guess I rocked till my back didn’t have no bone. I should be so lucky to avoid true, deep-down blues. Never went (seriously) hungry. Always had a pallet on the floor, or something better. My baby done left me (not) after 46 years together. Can you feel me? We’re talking middle class, Midwestern, Catholic, white race privilege here…and I feel so good. 

Just like a basketball game on a rainy day. 

Get Curry back, boys, and the Dubs going all the way!

Lest we forget where jazz hails from, we get Lockjaw, Cleanhead, Sonny and all those cats to make it plain, like your face (that goes for your mama, too!) And who names their little Black baby “Clark”? Mr. and Mrs. Terry, that’s who. - J.H.

I first came to know Sonny Stitt through Jim. On his way to Europe, he spent time with us in New York in our Lower East Side pad. Bought a bunch of records that he left with us while he did the Grand Euro Tour. We carefully played the hell out of the records, including Sonny, while he was gone, and until he picked them up on his way to Midwest Tundra. Glory days! Bluesy Jazz made the world go around in strange syncopation.- J.V. 

No comments: