Monday, October 24, 2022

The Oracle Speaks

Oracle Cloud World

Once I had a regular technology column titled "Jaundiced View". But coming up with yellow journalism proved tiring! More seriously, it was hard to be repetitively dour. We renamed the column "The Skeptical Examiner" and I have resurrected that on my Progressive Gauge blog. That is a site dedicated to the independent tech writing practice I have pursued since 2019.

The most recent article there discusses Oracle, a bigtime software company that stages a yearly convention I must have attended near 10 times, usually having to haul ass across the whole country to do it. That's something I still do in my dreams.

Software is a salespersons' paradise, and the greatest salesperson since Jesus is Larry Ellison, head of Oracle. He is 78, so he has more of this behind him then ahead - well, maybe I could be wrong there, as he has invested several hundred millions of dollars on Longevity Technology. "Death never made sense to me." - he said.

I attended his recent Oracle Cloud World 2022 convention speech via Zoom - pretty easy-peasy. Sitting on my couch, with a AI bot taking notes. Writing it up was the only work. You can read Oracle Gets the Memo at ProgressiveGauge.com. - Jack Vaughan

Pulling a page from my back pages: I am someone who spent his career covering software and hardware. I can tell you that a lot of people on the hardware side have a limited respect for software makers, no matter at what level they operate. If you shake it and it's ill-built, hardware rattles -- But the rattle test doesn't work on software.


No comments: