Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Remembering the Talking Hands

BOSTON - We were talking about Wisconsin miscians the other day. One thing about Jerry Harrison is not only did he found the Talking Heads but he also was a founding member of the Modern Lovers, which was arguably an even more important band. They were from around here, and their song "Road Runner" has been considered for the State Song.

I looked it up and he went to Harvard to study architecture, then met Jonathan Richmond, the main Modern Lover, and they bonded because they liked the Velvet Underground. The Velvets were played fairly heavily on the Milwaukee alternative radio.

The Modern Lovers gigged all over for several years, so got somewhat proficient. Their drummer, David Robinson, later joined the Cars.

I personaly think Harrison's influence on the Talking Heads who formed at the Rhode Island School of Design. They all got pretty good on their instruments, but at the outset I bet they didnt sound much different than a typical basement or garage combo, but I suspect that Harrison was experienced enough to move it up a notch.

The Talking Heads were getting to New York about the time me and D.M. were leaving. CBGBs, where they cut their teeth, was near where we lived, at the time, but it was a Bluegrass-Country music place then - I was not at that time interested in that kind of music and didnt go in the original CBGBs.



I got to hang out backstage a bit with the Talking Heads at the Paradise in Boston. Sunnyland was opening for them. Among the many acts I met that way, they were about the most disinterested in Sunnyland and his music. They acted supremely cool - but it was an act. [I could expand on that.] They were (one level down below the surface) very ambitious, which I suppose you have to be in the music business, but most of the other acts I came across showed some palpable respect for the old bluesman, Sunnyland. 

Funny thing to remember: The last night of the gig Sunnyland urged the audience to a "warm round of applause for the Talking Hands". He had some Slimisms that would crack you up.

No comments: