Thursday, September 28, 2017

Some small poems






















Lone bird
Singing
It's blues

As summer
Gets hotter - 
The conversation
Is more
Choice

And big jets
Of endless commerce
Scarf up what's left
of the sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm a bygone day
cant go to the hardware
and  keep from crying



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







skunk in the garden
known for its spray
which
wakes me at night
and tells me to turn
each fan on exhaust

i saw its other side
skunk rooting
low and prehistoric
tending to the earth
slow moving
like a sloth

i have never
seen
such patience
would like to be so calm and cool

but
for now i
tend to
the sky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(After Apollinaire's "Pretty Red Head" )

Pale, fragile
ruddy red haired girl

and dark nomad-eyed
friend girl

both
in black

they stand close by 
the big box
of silver needs
at the 
institute
of 
contemporary
art

held by a magnetism 
&
i am thinking
maybe
mysticism too. 

- Asa Wentoff-Juan Mourning, 2009

--

Swimming lessons

The farmboys would send
their dogs on me -
as I rode my Schwinn on
the road -
where the cabbage
were humming.
--
(Pua Sadinia)

I came upon a waterfall
on the beautiful island
Light flowed through the greenery
on a flower like a diamond.


--
John the Revelator, great advocator
Get's 'em on the battle of Zion
Lord, tellin' the story, risin' in glory
Cried, "Lord, don't you love some I"
...
Well Moses to Moses, watchin' the flock[13]
Saw the bush where they had to stop[14]
God told Moses, "Pull off your shoes"[15]
Out of the flock, well you I choose[16]


--


Morn blues

I just remembered | 
that it's election day | 
So I bop on down behind the church | 
n vote for Tito Jackson


From the train I saw | 
radio tower disappear | 
it's top in cloudy mist - 
Next stop Waban  


#NationalPoetryDay 

--
On leaving my Aunt Gert's burying

Gert's car - a gold Buick -
My dad had her sign over 
On just about her death bed
To me.

It was really small fare
for the care he gave her
on her way out the turnstile.

And - tho not as hip
as her previous SS like Skylark -
it was choice.

Having 
almost literally 
only been used to go
to church. There
in Harwichport.

Gert's car - refused to start
on the sunny day that 
I was leaving her burying.

Did my cousin  or me
jump the starter 
with a screwdriver?

I don’t know - but 
t'was a chuckle and a back shiver
both
as the old gold Buick started
and we held wonderment 
at ghostly electricity
in

the graveyard 
departing.

No comments:

Featured Post

Backporch Poesy June 2016

Reading from three favorite poetry anthologies on the back porch on June 17 (anniversary of Watergate breakin!) The three tomes are 1-Th...