Friday, March 17, 2006

Bottle of Smoke [excerpt] by Shane MacGowan


On St Patrick's Day historically we run an Irish poet.
Today, beware, it is rough old Shane MacGowan and his tale
of going to the race track.
Erin go Braugh. Pogue Mahon.

Thanks and praises
Thanks to Jesus
I bet on the Bottle of Smoke
I went to hell
And to the races
To bet on the Bottle of Smoke
The day being clear
The sky being bright
He came up on the left
Like a streak of light
Like a drunken fuckOna
Saturday night
Up came the Bottle of Smoke
Twenty fuckingfive to one
Me gambling days are done
I bet on a horse called the Bottle of Smoke
And my horse won

More...with Wav fragment

And from the past ...
St Patrick's Day 2005 http://radio.weblogs.com/0115044/2005/03/17.html

When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When allyou have is a heap of debt -
A pint of plain is your only man. - Flann O'Brien [seen in foto above at Flann OBrien's Pub in Mission Hill, Boston, Mass.

St Patrick's Day 2004 http://radio.weblogs.com/0115044/2004/03/17.html

The Viking Terror [Translated by Kuno Meyer]

Bitter is the wind tonight,
It tosses the ocean's white hair:
Tonight I fear not the fierce warriors of Norway
Coursing on the Irish Sea.

St Patrick's Day 2003 http://radio.weblogs.com/0115044/2003/03/17.html
The Deer's Cry [excerpt]
Attributed as a song Patrick would sing.
Translated by Kuno

I arise today
Through God's strength to pilot me:
God's might to uphold me,
God's wisdom to guide me,
God's eye to look before me,
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to speak for me,
God's hand to guard me,
God' s way to lie before me,
God's shield to protect me,
God's host to save me
From the snares of evils,
From temptations of vices,
From every one who shall wish me ill,A
far and anear
Alone and in a multitude.

No comments: