Sunday, December 04, 2005

Apropos of Ivar


Getting to my conversation with UML amigo Ivar Jacobson was not without its complications. Jacobson travels the world, and was in South Korea when I caught up with him via satellite phone. Biding time, waiting for that interview, I had a bit of fun with "Cyber Ivar," a program (Shown at Right) he has made available on his Web site that allows one to converse with a facsimile representation of the actual Ivar Jacobson.


After many years writing about computers, I finally interviewed one. And I don't hesitate in telling you, I felt like it was interviewing me. Still, an old Irish song comes to mind, and I transpose things a bit and come up with this ditty: "Ivar, we hardly knew ye." I am more glad than ever that I was actually able to talk to Jacobson through the miracle of satellite communications.

One wonders if online agents such as Cyber Ivar will someday be interviewed by virtual reporters such as Cyber Vaughan. Will those conversations be more or less illuminating? Read My dinner with Cyber Ivar on SearchVB.com.

No comments: