Friday, September 02, 2016

The poem that fell out of the sky


As a followup, about a week later...from the obit for Robotics pioneer Victor Sheinman - turns out that The Day The Earth Stood Still Really Freaked him out.... “My first contact with robots occurred when I went to see the movie ‘The Day the Earth Stood Still’ as a kid maybe about 8 years old or maybe 9 years old,” Mr. Scheinman recalled in an interview with the Robotics History Project of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. “And I was terrified by the robot in that movie and had nightmares over it,” he continued. “In fact, one night I woke up and saw the robot standing in my room. I’m convinced it was there. So I hid under the covers after that for many weeks.” As therapy to allay his fears, his father persuaded him to build a wooden version of Gort, the 8-foot-high, laser-equipped robot from the movie, which was released in 1951 and starred Michael Rennie.
 http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/22/technology/victor-scheinman-dead.html

No comments: