Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Rooters showed up at the grounds one day

The Rooters showed up at the grounds one day
They found their seats had all been sold
McGreevey led the charge into the park
Stormed the gates and put the game on hold
The Rooters gave the other team a dreadful fright
Boston's tenth man could not be wrong
Up from "Third Base" to Huntington
They'd sing another victory song

My father and his brother were separated by a decade in age, and the difference between being born in 1903 and in 1913 was pretty sharp. They'd meet at family gatherings, but not much else. Toward the end of my uncle’s life someone decided the two of them should get together. My brother and I took them to a Red Sox game. Up in years as they were, they couldn’t last but three innings in the hot August sun of a Saturday afternoon game on what is now known as Yawkey Way – was then Jersey St. But it was a kick.

At one point my uncle said he used to watch the team play on Huntington Avenue. My brother and I were not baseball historians. We thought the sun was getting to him. Fenway, built in 1912 was just about the beginning of time. But, obviously, my uncle who was 9 years old when Fenway opened, could easily have made it to the old ball park. [At some earlier point I belive the Sox were at Roxbury Crossing, very near my present abode.]

The Huntington Ave experience is alluded to in the Dropkick Murphy's song ‘Tessie’ which is an song originating with The Royal Rooters, a Red Sox fan club of yore. ["Nuf Ced' McGreevey noted below was a bartender at the ThirdBase bar who broke up fights between Braves and Red Sox fans by sayin: Nuf Ced! ]

Tessie is the soundtrack today as the Red Sox motor in amphibious vehicles through town and Cajun son Jonathan Papplebomme dances in kilts to the Murphys’ song.

Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
We're not here to mess around
Boston, you know we love you madly
Hear the crowd roar to your sound
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you
Tessie, you are the only only only
Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
You know we couldn't live without you …

Thank you Jim Haas for alerting me to the Dropkicks in my own back yard.

No comments: