Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn at Cary Hall, Lexington –

I had the answer to the contest question*, my fingers did the walking, Central connected me, and lo but my spousal unit and I were on our way to a concert featuring Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn in Lexington (July 28). Thank you WHRB Hillbilly at Harvard. I thought I should share a perspective on the proceedings.
Abigail began things saying “I hope you like banjos.” The audience did. I do too – but more so after this show for sure. Blues is my main thing – A guy who really rocked my boat back in the day was John Fahey. And Bela’s approach to his instrument, to explore the sound, sometimes to the point of abstraction, unafeared to traipse through the gardens of other genres, was kind of like old John. I didnt see John at his best – but I did see Bela in July in Lexington and he seemed a virtuoso of the highest order this night. He shore can play the banjo, actually many varieties of said.
I am not a purist, but I like that cold lonesome sound. I’d say Bella and Abigail’s has got it. It is music that is somewhat experimental and somewhat rooted – ventursome, in a good way. Abigail has a young person’s sense of vocal and lyric, so, kind of new to me, but honoring ancestors certainly. She kept it reel by doing a clog dance, and more. She threw some Chinese poetry (Song of the Traveling Daughter) in there, to good effect. Basically, this sense of the banjo as an instrument of the whole world came across vividly. They put on a show, no Miles Davis turning his back to audience here. And I’d say the audience along with me and my gal had a great time.
Abigail plays claw style – Bela plays Earl Scruggs style. They had some fun with this “incompatibility.” That’s what happens when two worlds collide – yuk yuk! Actually the instrumental interplay was trance inducing (which is equivalent of a good credit rating in my house). Mystic banjos of strangely alluring turnings. Nuff said. Songs included I’ve Been Working on the Railroad All the Live-Long Day); Little Birdie, Come All you Coal Miners, Blooming Rose, Delibes’s Pizzicati.
*The answer to the contest question? Incredibly, “Ernest Tubb.” So write it down folks cause next it will be your turn. Obviously, it was only luck, not skill, that won these tickets this day for this old dog. Thanks again to WHRB Hillbilly at Harvard for making a dreamy night happen. Jack Vaughan, Mission Hillbilly, co-author of Sunnyland Blues, and former High School Usher’s Club President.

No comments: