Friday, August 07, 2015

Bard blather

We would all like it if the Bards would make themselves plane or we think we would. The poets however are not easily diverted from their high mysterious ways. A poet dares be just so clear and no clearer; he approaches lucid ground where warily like a mariner who is determined not to scrape his bottom.poets pleasure is to withhold a little of his meaning, to intensify by mystification. He unzipped the veil from beauty but does not remove it. A poet other likelier is a trifle glittering. E.B. White, One Man's Meat.

I think I like to be kind of you fill in the blank about poetry. I think I like the extraworld that emerges from some 'mystification'. I think I am at sea with this, so chancing upon EB WHite's comment, while pseudo summering near Hingham harbor, gave me a start.-JVaughan

No comments: