Monday, October 20, 2014

My Back Pages - Visual Basic

[FROM 2006] - I'd been in the hardware trade press for 10 years when my boss assigned me to cover a Microsoft product rollout in Atlanta. Call it a simple twist of fate. It was 1991. Of course I'd heard of Bill Gates, but he was in the software business, and of just about no interest to us.

If he'd been doing assembler, of course, that would have been of a whole lot of interest, but he was doing Basic, which "real men" didn't do, back in those hardware circles. But the company was on the rise, and the boss sent me. The product rolling out, in fact, was Visual Basic, which has just lately turned 15..... {There follow some botched predictions.}

http://searchwindevelopment.techtarget.com/news/1195777/Stand-up-if-you-love-VB

No comments: