Sunday, November 25, 2007

Hounds of Amtrack

I used to ride the train a lot between Boston and New York [sometimes further to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington], and there was a certain patch around Rhode Island before Connecticut that early in the foggy morning had a Moorish Hound of the Baskervilles’ quality. The quality evoked the work of a number of artists, but especially Edgar Allen Poe. When I read a biography, Dreadful Remembrance unto Death? – no, “Mournful and Never-ending Remembrance,” I learned that Poe’s trajectory mapped with the railroads of the day. Down from Boston, up from Virginia. To New York, Again to Boston, Down to Baltimore. So the ride had another level of world-weariness. And I took many stabs over the years at this one, which now is scattered in numberous fragments and versions. [What is it about that term ‘baltimore’?][Streets of Baltimore, etc] Poe is about mood to me. I offer one take. The only message here is ‘you, moved me, man!’ On a Baltimore trip I made it to Poe's Grave.

No comments: